Travel Berkey (5.7 L) Portable Gravity Water Filter System
✓ Supplied complete with two Black Filters changed every 22,700 litres!
✓ Perfect for 1-3 person households
✓ Ideal for travelling
✓ Widest range of contaminants removed (see Specification tab)
The Travel Berkey (5.7 L) Portable Gravity Water Filter makes the perfect travel companion for portable gravity water filtration which will produce safe, great tasting water anywhere. This well constructed compact unit fits neatly into a travel bag making it a perfect choice for use during travel, such as camping and in a caravan, and makes an ideal standby to have for unexpected emergencies.
The Travel Berkey system is also perfect for general use in a 1-3 person household and comes complete with 2 Black Berkey filtration elements
Features of the Travel Berkey Gravity Water Filter System
- Constructed of highly polished AISI 304 stainless steel
- Storage capacity of about 1.5 gallons (US Gallons which is 5.7 Litres)
- Upper chamber nests within lower chamber for transport and stands only 12″ in height
- Maximum filters: 2 Black Berkey Elements (in upper chamber)
- System includes upper and lower stainless steel chambers, 2 Black Berkey Purification Elements, 2 wing nuts, 2 washers, 1 priming button, stainless steel lid, spigot, and a rubber gasket to protect the base
Height when in use: 18″
Weight: 6.13 lbs empty
Serves: 1 to 3 people
Maximum Filtration Flow Rate: Configured with two Black Berkey Purification Elements, the Travel Berkey system can produce up to 2.75 gallons (10.4 liters) of purified water per hour.
Up to two PF-2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction Filters may be installed in the lower chamber of this system if desired.
Black Berkey™ Purification Elements
The system comes supplied with two of the Black Berkey™ Purification Elements which are more powerful than any other gravity filter element currently available. The micro-pores within the cleanable Black Berkey™ purification elements are so small that pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.
Black Berkey™ purification elements are so powerful, they can remove red food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs. Virtually no other filtration element can duplicate this performance.
The powerful Black Berkey™ purification elements also remove or reduce viruses, pathogenic cysts, parasites, harmful or unwanted chemicals such as herbicides and pesticides, VOCs, detergents, organic solvents, cloudiness, trihalomethanes, silt, sediment, heavy metals, foul tastes and odors, yet they leave in the healthful and beneficial minerals that your body needs and….because Black Berkey™ purification elements fit most gravity flters, existing gravity filtration systems can be upgraded. This vastly improves their ability to remove unwanted contaminate.
No need for expensive disposable filters. Black Berkey™ purification elements are cleanable. When the flow rate decreases simply brush the Black Berkey™ purification elements with a ScotchBrite® pad under running water, re-install and your system is again ready to purify water. Each durable and efficient purification element will last for up to 3,000 gallons (6,000 gallons per set of two – that’s 22,700 litres!) and provide years of efficient water purification.
Because the Black Berkey™ Purification Elements are so powerful they can remove red food colouring from water. This allows you a method to test your system periodically. We recommended that the Red Food Color Test be run after new systems are first assembled. We also recommend that they be tested every 3 to 6 months thereafter, after your system has been in storage or before taking your system on a trip or out of the country, in order to insure your system is functioning properly.
The Black Berkey™ purification element formulation has been tested by State & EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53.
Adding the optional PF-2 Fluoride Filters
Berkey PF-2 reduction elements are designed to be used exclusively with the Black Berkey filter elements and are especially designed to remove arsenic and fluoride to deliver you with cleaner, safer drinking water. The filters will last for up to 3000 uses, but should be replaced within a year, possibly sooner if they received regular use.
Berkey PF-2™ reduction elements are designed for use in conjunction with Black Berkey™ water purification elements to adsorb the following unwanted elements found in drinking water.
• Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
• Other residual heavy metal ions
FLUORIDE: Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30 ppm of the ion in the in-fluent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 lpm) per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1 ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction).
ARSENIC: This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
REPLACEMENT:Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two Berkey PF-2™ elements be replaced after 1,000 gallons (3,785 litres). The Royal Berkey™ system is about 3.25 gallons (12.3 litres) therefore the Berkey PF-2™ filters should be replaced after 1,000/3.25 (3,785/12.3) or 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the Berkey PF-2™’s should be replaced after 10 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the Berkey PF-2™’s should be replaced about every five months). Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
1) Do not boil this element.
2) Berkey PF-2™ elements reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
3) The lower reservoir in most gravity purification systems has a two to three gallon capacity and a typical household uses about one refill per day. We recommend that the upper reservoir be filled at night. The water from the upper reservoir should be purified by morning. Households requiring more water can speed up the flow rate by drawing off the purified water into a water pitcher or other container when the water level in the lower reservoir rises above the bottom of the Berkey PF-2™ elements.
4) If residual process dust is still visible after priming, please repeat the priming and installation process as described in the installation instructions. If you need a copy of the Berkey PF-2™ Installation Instructions: Click Here (.pdf file)